[JSR308] Can we agree on our goals?

Ted Neward ted at tedneward.com
Fri Feb 2 01:24:28 EST 2007

> 1) Once and for all, either come up with a way to support each
> construction or declare that it cannot (or should not) be done.
>
> versus
>
> 2) Face a continuing stream of JSR proposals, each providing a
> solution to one lacking in the previous annotation-related JSR.

Doug, I hate to say it, but I think this is a naïve distinction; for every X
that we say cannot be done, somebody will propose a new JSR that shows how
it can be done, why it should be done, and why we were all idiots for not
doing it before now. As I see it, we have two choices:

1) Support each and every possible construction that could ever be possibly
used.

versus

2) Face a continuing stream of JSR proposals...

IMHO, this is the problem with a committee/community-based approach; there's
nobody who can authoritatively and definitively say "NO" and have that be
the last word. :-/

Which I guess reluctantly puts me also in favor of (1), since (2) it seems
to me is at best a temporary state of affairs.... but I'm having a hard time
convincing myself that it's in the best interests of the language and the
programmers using it. :-/

Ted Neward
Java, .NET, XML Services
Consulting, Teaching, Speaking, Writing