[JSR308] Can we agree on our goals?

Gary T. Leavens leavens at cs.iastate.edu
Thu Feb 1 15:05:20 EST 2007

Hi Eugene,

On Thu, 1 Feb 2007, Eugene Kuleshov wrote:

> Gary T. Leavens wrote:
>> For my part, I would be very happy with adding the ability to have
>> annotations on types and statements (or even just loop statements).
>> I'm not personally trying to use any kind of strategy to lead us down
>> a slippery slope towards annotations on all possible syntactic
>> categories.  I think if Java programmers can annotate declarations,
>> types, and (loop) statements, that will be plenty.
> Gary, why limit it on loops and not all { } blocks?

I'm not arguing for a limit to just loops, but stating that such a
limit would be acceptable to me (for purposes of JML).  Certainly I
can see advantages to being able to annotate blocks enclosed in { and },
or all statements.  It would be more regular to allow annotations on
all statements, and not to limit the annotations to loop statements.

         Gary T. Leavens
         Department of Computer Science, Iowa State University
         229 Atanasoff Hall, Ames, Iowa 50011-1041 USA
         http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~leavens  phone: +1-515-294-1580